If life is what happens to our plans, then dance is what happens to our steps.
ideas sometimes when you wait they come to you.

Preparation for starting with BAPP

Monday 17 February 2020

Thinking about ethical considerations

Ethical consideration are about the questions you ask to change what assumptions are being made. The questions themselves and reflection they create are the action of ethical considerations. Any answers are not part of the process - The thinking about the question is the process.

Examples:

Emma's example taken from TedTalks was based on the subject matter of "Does machine Intelligence make human morals more important".
Some ethical considerations that arose from this were;
- Why is the data I input online having an impact on my morals?
- Will the information I search for be tailored and restricted to show desired results?
- Should the internet be making decisions for us?
- Why are we relying on machine intelligence to improve our morals?
https://www.ted.com/talks/zeynep_tufekci_machine_intelligence_makes_human_morals_more_important/transcript?referrer=playlist-talks_on_artificial_intelligen


Lauren Mitchell:
The example TedTalk that I used, asked the question: Does photographing the moment steal the experience from you?
As a question which has often come up in conversation in my everyday life, I believe that it does not, if the photo is used for personal reference and memory. My aunt would dispute this as a typical younger person living their life through a mobile phone. My sister offers a different opinion since she usually takes photos of places to post on social media.
These three opinions raise questions about ethical assumptions / perspectives. For example taking a photo at a landmark and returning to your car straight away could be considered a waste of the experience, but the person taking the photo could be using it for analysis or purpose.
Photography can enhance your experience if you're indeed taking it with intention (studies suggest), eg. for information, discovery, support, or bringing people together. Potentially my sister would argue that you can share a photo with intention too; to inform or uplift?
The main question this TedTalk highlighted for me was whether forgetting your phone/camera or not capturing the shot was a relief or limitation.
https://www.ted.com/talks/erin_sullivan_does_photographing_a_moment_steal_the_experience_from_you/transcript?language=en

Olivia Thompson:
My example asked the question 'Can artists be held to the same standards as other people?'
- What is the emotional cost of art?
- Are you condoning someone's actions by engaging with them?
- Why have we allowed art to invade our privacy?
- Can we appreciate an artists work without knowing their background?
- Do we need to know?

It made me think about how I view the arts and certain artists.
The articles I used were -

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-artists-bend-ethics-arts-sake
https://www.theoryofknowledge.net/areas-of-knowledge/the-arts/what-is-the-relationship-between-art-and-ethics/
























Linking ideas in a Rhizome rather than just thinking in a linear manor (roots tree).
What are your thoughts?


6 comments:

  1. This was a very helpful session for me. Thank you Adesola!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://olivia-gracethompson.blogspot.com/2020/02/campus-day-17th-february.html

    I wrote a post about my thoughts and findings from today's session.
    I'd love to hear anyone elses thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adesola,
    Thank you for the campus session on Monday. I found it incredibly useful and now feel my mind is clearer in my approach to ethical considerations and my practice.

    I have written a blog on this:
    https://emmadaltonbapp.blogspot.com/2020/02/campus-session-17022020-challenge-your.html

    Many thanks,

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been very helpful for me to look a bit more into the 'ethical considerations' of my research topic however has created a bit of a minefield for me! I have branched out so much that now I am unsure as to what my original question was..

    I am looking at how to craft a healthy work life balance as an artist: and thought of the ethical question: 'should we separate ourselves from our art' and found this wonderful TED TALK https://www.ted.com/talks/thandie_newton_embracing_otherness_embracing_myself?language=en

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Adesola. This is an interesting post. Would you say the process of thoughts around ethics is more important than the act of putting them in place during an inquiry? Now I have begun module 2, I will be thinking of ethical considerations in my everyday life, slowly inputting that approach to help plan my inquiry. I find Olivia Thompson's question intriguing. I would say art can be emotional, in terms of live performance, the pressure of perfectionism, emotions running high between artists... but I would not express it as an 'emotional cost'. Cost implies that emotion is a price but I feel that emotions work alongside art. Art is not always something that can be bought, and despite there may be struggles, intense floods of emotion, I would not agree that there is an emotional cost to art. Emotions occur throughout our days, and if you consider art to be apart of your professional practice then it is a passion, not a chore and therefore not a 'cost' as such.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really interesting blog. I have done some research and blogged my findings here:
    https://alysmay.blogspot.com/2020/03/ethics-and-arts.html
    Thank you!
    Alys

    ReplyDelete